Tuesday, November 6, 2007

it's all over but the flying

Well,

I leave tomorrow evening. This week has been suck-ified. Got some bad news from some people.

Feeling kinda sickly. Spent today in my princess-themed room, listening to Albert Ayler trying to put keys spelling "bad mothafucka" across the homerow of my laptop, realizing very quickly that, first of all, that's way to many letters, and second, there are 3 A's in those words. Whatever though, no regrets. If you don't understand why I would do something like that (I do a lot of things like that) you don't understand me. That, is all I have to say about that.

Some notes on shit that's gone down in the last couple of days.

Alvaro Colom is the new president. I was happy he won, even though he will likely be only a little less sucky than the other guy would have been. I don't think I ever mentioned that the UNE equivalent to the Firm Hand's fist was a cute little dove movement using both hands. I think Bone Thugs n' Harmony used to do something roughly similar.

I went to the polling place with Bryslie and watched her vote. The ballot is a piece of paper wit pictures of both dudes. You draw a big X through the one you want. Something else that was a bit odd about the process is that they televise the counting. With a guy holding up the paper, saying "UNE" or "PP" and putting it in one of two piles. I totally watched for 2 hours.

Nobody was at the polling place. Like NOBODY. The candidates were apparently both so bad that voting was down all across Guatemala. D-pressing

Apparently, to make sure that no one votes twice, they mark your finger with some kind of long-lasting paint. Also, it apparently smells funny. A scenario in which giant masses of people walk sniffing their fingers and onlookers note that it must be election time was easily my favorite part of Guatemala Picks the Less Shitty Candidate 2k7.

I don't think there's anything else that I thought was particular noteworthy about being here for the elections. Except for maybe Hugo Chavez's decision to amend the Venezuelan Constitution so kids under the age of 18 can vote. That guy's a crazy. His country's definitely going to end up as some kind of skateboard dystopia, with all kinds of graffitti, and pizza, and.... Mark Wahlberg.

I ate at a nice restaurant, got some people some gifts, spent all my money.

I don't think the people I stayed with really liked having me around too much, we're not doing anything to note my departure. I haven't been back to the office since I went to live with Bryslie. That's probably ok.

What a weird trip.

First hot shower in a month? Why yes, please!

/kevinnnnn

1 comment:

chewingmedulla said...

I'm hooked, and withdrawal symptoms in my family are not pretty.

I think you'd better keep blogging.